Facts About Organs and Tissus Donation
- One person can save as many as eight lives by donating their organs, and can provide better quality of life for 15 other people by donating their body tissues.
- Nine out of 10 people say they believe in donating organs, but only one in two actually make their decision known to others.
- On average, some 400 people benefit from transplants in Quebec every year.
- There is no age limit for organ donations. The youngest donor on record is 2 days old…and the oldest 88 years.
- On December 31, 2013, 1,047 people were on the waiting list at Transplant Québec (75% of these were waiting for a kidney).
- You can also donate an organ (most often a kidney) during your own lifetime.
- In the years to come, the incidence of patients suffering from end-stage renal disease (ESRD) could grow under the pressure resulting from the higher incidence of diabetes, which accounts for over one third of all new cases of ESRD each year. For every person undergoing dialysis who receives a kidney transplant, it is estimated that the healthcare system can save $400,000 over a period of 10 years.